- 3 lbs. smoked cod (available at Whole Foods)
- 1 lb. cooked lobster meat
- 1 lb. unsalted butter
- 2 cups onion, minced
- 2 cups leek, 1/4" diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 6 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and 1/2" diced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups fish fume (or, substitute bottled clam juice)
- 5 cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Curly parsley, stemmed and chopped
Cut cod and lobster meat into 1/2-inch pieces.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, leeks, herbs and potatoes. Cook until onions are soft, stirring often so mixture does not brown.
Add the white wine and heavy cream, and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes.
Add the fish fume/clam juice, then the smoked cod, and simmer until the cod is fork-tender.
Add the lobster pieces at the very end, and season the chowder with salt and pepper.
Ladle into eight pre-warmed bowls, and garnish with parsley if desired.