If you want to add a taste of New England to your summer barbecue, try Beer Works' recipe for beer-basted cheeseburgers. Serves four.
- 2.5 pounds ground chuck (80% lean)
- 1 cup Fenway Pale Ale* (or any other pale ale)
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 hamburger rolls or any other soft roll, buttered and grilled
- salt and pepper
- Garnish: thinly sliced onion, pickles, green leaf lettuce, mayo, mustard, ketchup and sliced tomato
- Special equipment: pastry brush
Pour beer into medium bowl, and place bowl and pastry brush by grill.
Form four patties. (Each uncooked patty will weigh approximately 10 ozs.)
Season both sides of patties with salt and pepper.
When grill is ready, place the burgers on the grill and cook, untouched, for 5-7 minutes (medium rare).
While burgers are cooking, generously brush each burger with the beer every two minutes.
Flip burgers, and brush the burgers with the remaining beer. Cook for another 5-7 minutes.
Melt two slices of cheese on each burger.
Remove burgers from grill. Place cheeseburgers on grilled and buttered rolls, garnish, and enjoy with a cold brew.
*Fenway Pale Ale is available in growler jugs (for takeout) at all three Beer Works locations.
Recipe released to the media in 2007; reprinted with permission.