Tanglewood's 77th Season!
The Tanglewood Music Center in Lenox, Massachusetts, is the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) and the setting for a wide variety of musical performances each year. There's no better place in all of New England to spread out a picnic blanket, feast on gourmet goodies and listen to live music as the sun sets and the stars unveil themselves. This summer, Tanglewood marks its 77th season.
Highlights of the 2014 summer season include:
- The Tanglewood season officially opens with an all-American program featuring superstar soprano Renée Fleming. (July 5) The BSO will also play an all-Dvořák concert (July 11), an all-Tchaikovsky concert (August 10) and two all-Brahms programs (August 6 and 7) this season.
- James Taylor returns to his beloved Tanglewood after a one-year absence for shows on the 3rd and 4th of July. The Independence Day concert that will be followed by fireworks. (July 3 and 4) Other popular artists who will take the Tanglewood stage in 2014 include Jason Alexander of Seinfeld fame (July 13), Grammy-winning band Train (August 29) and Josh Groban, who will sing with the Boston Pops (August 30).
- The Boston Pops Orchestra will perform Harold Arlen's brilliant lost scores as the stunningly remastered film The Wizard of Oz is shown on large screens with the original vocals and dialogue. (August 22)
- Boston Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams, one of the best-known composers of his generation with credits that include some of the 20th and 21st centuries' most memorable film scores, will lead the always popular Film Night at Tanglewood. (August 2)
- Minnesota Public Radio's "A Prairie Home Companion" with host Garrison Keillor will broadcast live from the Koussevitzky Music Shed for the 15th consecutive year. (June 28)
- Tanglewood on Parade will feature a full day of activities, culminating in a gala concert with Williams, Keith Lockhart, Stéphane Denève and Leonard Slatkin conducting. The combined forces of the Boston Symphony, Boston Pops and Tanglewood Music Center orchestras will present works including the traditional performance of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture featuring fireworks. (August 5)
- Cellist Yo-Yo Ma makes two Tanglewood appearances (August 7 and 10), playing works by Tchaikovsky and Brahms.
- Conductor Leonard Slatkin will mark his 70th birthday by leading the Boston Symphony Orchestra and guest violinist Gil Shaham in a celebratory concert. (Augsut 8).
- The Chamber Ensemble from the Boston Lyric Opera Orchestra will present an intimate performance of Jack Beeson's opera Lizzie Borden: Yes, an opera about New England's most famous ax murderer! (July 31)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra Music Director Designate Andris Nelsons, who officially takes the reigns this fall, will conduct his first Tanglewood concerts this summer (July 7, 19 and 20).
- A ramped-up schedule of performances at Ozawa Hall celebrates the venue's 20th anniversary. Highlights include concerts by the Kenny Barron Trio (June 27), father and son Ellis and Delfeayo Marsalis (August 17) and a capella group Chanticleer (July 9).
Check the complete Tanglewood 2014 schedule for other fabulous performances, then purchase your tickets, compare rates at nearby hotels, pack your picnic and head for Tanglewood. While you're anticipating the summer season, learn a bit about the history of Tanglewood and explore my gallery of Tanglewood photos.
More from New England Travel
Looking for more New England travel information? Start with the New England Travel home page, where you'll find current features and links to the best of the Net for all of your travel planning needs.
Don't miss our free email newsletter, About New England Travel, which keeps you up to date on what's happening in the region. Subscribe today!
Read the Latest Stories from your New England Travel Guide