After a day of playing in the snow or strolling arm-in-arm through this winter wonderland, nothing is quite as romantic as retiring to your room at a charming and cozy inn or bed & breakfast and lighting a crackling, comforting fire in your own fireplace. Many of the region's B&Bs and inns have a few rooms with fireplaces, but here is my guide to 10 New England inns where you'll find a fireplace in each and every guest room.
1. All 18 rooms at The Inn At Stonington, located on the Connecticut shoreline in Stonington, feature fireplaces. Complimentary wine and cheese are served each evening in the inn's waterview parlor. Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun casinos and the attractions of Mystic, Connecticut, are all nearby if you can tear yourself away from the glow of the fire. Call 860-535-2000 for reservations.
2. At Rock Hall in Colebrook, Connecticut, you'll find four elegant guest rooms with fireplaces, plus wonderful common areas where you can retreat on a chilly day including a movie theater, billiard room, library, great hall and game room outfitted with everything from a ping-pong table to Wii Fit. This 1912 mansion designed by architect Addison Mizner of Palm Beach fame retains its Jazz Age vibe and air of sophisticated seclusion. Call 860-379-2230 for reservations.
3. Each of the seven rooms at Victorian by the Sea in Camden, Maine, has its own working fireplace to help you fight off winter's chill. You'll have wonderful views of Penobscot Bay from this Victorian-style inn built in 1889 as a summer cottage. With your fireplace casting a cozy glow, you may never feel the need to venture outdoors once you've checked in, but the charming coastal town of Camden is worth exploring. For reservations, call toll free, 800-382-9817.
4. The Notchland Inn in Hart's Location, New Hampshire, has twelve guest rooms, all with wood-burning fireplaces. This 1860s granite mansion is set on a 100-acre estate within the White Mountain National Forest, which means that you can spend a day skiing, skating or snowshoeing, then return to this cozy, romantic retreat for an evening of dreaming by the fire. Make reservations by calling 603-374-6131 or toll free, 800-866-6131.
5. The Lake Opechee Inn and Spa in Laconia, New Hampshire, has 34 individually appointed rooms, and, you guessed it, you'll find a working fireplace in each one. Many also have two-person whirlpool tubs, and two rooms are available for guests traveling with friendly dogs. With its own steak and seafood restaurant and lakeside spa, this Lakes Region retreat in a historic mill building offers warmth and contentment under one roof. For reservations, call 603-524-0111.