Heading to Sun WineFest
at Connecticut's Mohegan Sun today (tickets are still available)? My friend (and personal astrologer!) Janet Booth
and I spent six hours at the Sun WineFest Grand Tasting yesterday, and here are our tips on the 2014 "musts" at this extraordinary wine, beer, spirits and food event:
- MUST-Try Free Food Sample: Wicked Kickin' Savory Cheesecakes from New Bedford, Massachusetts: especially the Buffalo Chicken!
- Best Reds to Try: Bravium Lucky, Casey Flat Ranch Estate Red, Domaine du Vieux Lazaret Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Jonathan Edwards Lodi Zinfandel
- Best White to Try: Bread & Butter Chardonnay (Pair it with a lobster salad roll from Rhode Island's Matunuck Oyster: It's $15, but loaded with enormous pieces of lobster meat and large enough to share. Ask, and they'll cut it in half for you.)
- Best Wine Novelty: Zipz Wine in single-serve disposable glasses: Perfect for picnics in New England!
- Best Spirit to Try: Reyka Vodka (It's made in Iceland and filtered through ancient volcanic rock. They are serving it with ginger beer and a slice of lime in the lobby outside the Grand Tasting.)
- Best for Valentine's Day: Arrigoni Chocolate Love (a Connecticut-made red wine with a subtle chocolate finish)
- Better Than You'd Expect: 50 Shades of Grey wine: Really! Author EL James custom-designed these blends to reflect the main characters: A white for Anastasia and a red for Christian.
- Wines to Skip: Mimosa Mango NV, Drops of Jupiter, Eppa Superfruta Red Sangria
- Must-Have App for Navigating Sun WineFest and Keeping Track of Your Favorites: Drync
See my Tweets
from Sun WineFest for more tips.