To ignite your New England travel dreaming, here's a look back at some of my favorite New England stories and adventures from 2013:
- In January, I took you along on a dog sledding excursion in New Hampshire's White Mountains with a team of remarkable rescue dogs.
- In February, Blizzard Nemo dumped epic snowfall totals on New England.
- In March, I had the pleasure of announcing the six winners of the second annual New England Travel Readers' Choice Awards. One of my most memorable adventures all year was judging the Best Annual Event: the Maine Whoopie Pie Festival!
- The unthinkable happened in April, when the Boston Marathon, a cherished Patriots' Day tradition, turned tragic, but I was moved by the global outpouring of support for Boston and the many readers who looked to me for Ways to Help.
- June's highlight was sharing my once-in-a-lifetime, up-close encounter with a three-week-old baby moose at the Maine Wildlife Park! I also wrote about... penguin poop. It happens! So, don't dress up when you book your Penguin Encounter at Connecticut's Mystic Aquarium.
- I had a busy summer, including a memorable trip to Burlington for the grand opening of Hotel Vermont, and in August, I told you about the liquid gold I brought back from my trip up North: the World's Best Beer, which you can only find in Vermont.
- October featured two memorable pumpkin road trips: one to see Giant Pumpkins Falling on Cars and to race pumpkins in the Pumpkin Derby at the Damariscotta Pumpkinfest in Maine and the other to help set a Guinness World Record for the most lit jack-o-lanterns in one place at one time at the Keene Pumpkin Festival.
- In November, I went swimming outdoors on Cape Cod--really! And I told you about the surprising number of places where you can Swim Outdoors Year-Round in New England.
Wishing you a fabulous '14 filled with memorable adventures!
Photos © 2013 Kim Knox Beckius.